Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Student Guest Blogger: Kenzie's Blog #2


In my experiences this year, I have not had children with disabilities in my classroom. Even though I have not had children with disabilities in my K-3 classrooms, I have had to really learn how to make accommodations and adaptations for all learners in my classroom. I have had to adapt the environment, activities, materials and even provide hands-on assistance to learners. This experience of providing adaptations will help me be able to truly support children with disabilities in the future.  
To help my students, I have had to adapt a variety of materials in my lessons. For example, I have had to provide a “Wiggle Seat Inflatable Sensory Chair Cushion” for one of my lessons. This tool allowed the child to stay seated for a longer period of time. This is a way for the child to release physical energy without any distraction to their same-aged peers. I’ve had to adapt the environment by using a “wedge” to provide seating during our circle time activities. This allows every child to participate and engage in the lesson. I have had to adapt materials, by adding a movement activity in order to help children who have difficulty paying attention. I also provide assistance in the form of peer-assistance, such as “buddy reading”, so that children may engage socially and learn to read together.   

Check out the resources at http://www.dec-sped.org/resources
All in all, I have learned that every great educator needs to provide adaptations and accommodations for every single learner in his or her classroom. Whether you are working with children with or without disabilities, adaptations should be present in learning daily. In order to provide accurate and effective adaptations for the children in your classroom, you must get to truly know your students. Using resources such as the child’s caregivers and other professionals that interact with the child, and the internet can even be a great source. I hope to use some of these adaptations to effectively work with children with disabilities in my future career.  

No comments:

Post a Comment